Tuesday 3 April 2012

Announcing my Scrumptious new cook book!

I'm excited and proud to announce that Cape Town publishers Random House Struik will be publishing my first cook book at the beginning of July 2012.

I styled the photographs myself because I wanted
complete creative control over the look of the book.
Although I can't yet tell you what the title of the book is, it has (of course!) the word 'Scrumptious' in it. What I can reveal is that it's a beautiful, full-colour dustjacketed hardback, filled with superlative photographs, and that it contains 90 of my original, triple-tested recipes, most of them entirely new.

I spent the better part of last year toiling night and day to produce a selection of interesting new recipes, and the photographs for the book were shot here, at my home in Hout Bay, over a period of three weeks in November and December 2011.

Although I was given the option by my publishers to shoot the photographs myself, I decided that my food snaps were not of the standard I would like to see in my own cook book, and so Random House Struik commissioned talented Cape Town photographer Michael Le Grange of Flat Art Studios to photograph my food.

I'm not exaggerating when I say that the images are breathtaking - and I can't wait to share some of them with you closer to the publication date. I'll also be writing a series of blog posts about the process of writing the book, of developing new recipes, and of shooting and styling the photographs (I did all the food styling myself, because I wanted it to look like my food).  What's more, all the plates, bowls and platters in the photographs were hand-made by my uncle David Walters, master potter of Franschhoek, so this is truly a family affair.

Book designer Bev Dodd and photographer Michael Le Grange
 (endlessly) debating a food shot
A commission from South Africa's leading publisher of top-quality cook books is a dream come true for me. Although this isn't my first published book,  it's the one that I've most wanted to write for almost 40 years, ever since I picked up a knife as a little girl and tearily peeled my first onions.

The tears I shed over those onions were nothing compared to the tears of delight I cried when I signed my book deal last year. Although I've loved writing this blog over the past five years, and learned so much, it has also at times been a frustrating, lonely experience, and one that has consumed many hours of my time.

There were days during the early years when I felt like giving up, not only because my blog wasn't earning me a cent, but also because food blogging has become so unnecessarily competitive and controversial.

Over the past while, however, as my blog has opened a new career for me as a food writer, recipe developer and social media consultant, my enthusiasm has returned, and I've poured all my energy and creativity into writing the very best cook book I can, and one that I hope will be truly useful and inspiring to home cooks.  With Michael le Grange's atmospheric photographs and book designer Bev Dodd's fabulous art direction, I hope I've produced a winner.

Click here to find out where to buy my book > http://whatsforsupper-juno.blogspot.com/p/my-new-cookbook.html

Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly

27 comments:

Nina Timm said...

Oh Jane, I am shedding tears of joy with you my friend. You are such an inspiration to me. I have no doubt that this will be an awesome awesome piece of art. Congratulations!

Gwen Kloppers said...

It is so inspiring to hear about your journey and that you did not give up! Congratulations and I can't wait to see the end result!

Caylee said...

Congrats Jane !

Kitchenboy said...

Hi Jane! This is such wonderful news! I am SO happy for you. As Nina said, you are really such an inspiration to so many of us.

Here's to lots of success on your new baby and may you be blessed with re-print after re-print.

And as we say in Taiwan, "Gongxi! Gongxi ni!"

@gillianf said...

What an inspiring blog post Jane-Anne, I lament my own overgrown with weeds blog started more than a year ago, time to resurrect ...

polkadotcupcake said...

magic magic magic!! of all the bloggers whose books I would most like to have in my kitchen, yours is definitely at the top of the list. I can't wait to see it :) so so so proud of what you've achieved, m'dear. Mahooosive hugs :D

Kit said...

This is fantastic news and thoroughly deserved. looking forward to seeing snippets of it here some time!

Melissa said...

Congrats Jane! I can't wait to get your book, I'm so excited for you.

Sam said...

I cant wait to see your book Jane-Anne, no doubt it will be beautiful in every way. Congratulations!

Robyn MacLarty said...

Yaaaaaaay! Well done JA! No one deserves it more than you. Your work speaks for itself... Will you featuring new recipes, or ones already on you blog?

I'll be first in line for a copy :-)

xxxx

Lisa Key said...

What wonderful exciting news. I cannot wait to be the proud owner of a Scrumptious cookbook. I have loved your blog and so enjoyed getting to know you through the foodie social network in the last couple of years. Well done, it is wonderful. I was just thinking recently that I would like to see a Jane Anne Hobbs Rayner cookbook on my bookshelf. Lisa.

Unknown said...

i have said so before - your blog - food posts are exceptional. I am proud to say "eish I kinda know that lady a little bit" even if it is electronically! Well Done beautiful lady, Well Done!

Jesse said...

Congratulations! I'm looking forward to the book!

Jeanine Rose-Gibson said...

Yippey Yaaaay....will make sure your book takes 'pride of place' in my UK kitchen....thank you for your generous sharing, of your amazing gift Jane....
J X

Ishay said...

As shared with you on twitter Pushie, so proud of you! I hope you offer us little teases and I can't wait for July to pour over a copy. Congratulations!

africanaussie said...

wow it sounds fantastic, congratulations!

Zoe said...

Wonderful, wonderful news!!!! So excited for you!!! And us!!! ;)

Jane-Anne said...

Hello friends! Thank you so much for your lovely comments. You have *seriously* made me day. x

Live to Eat said...

Well, that's one cookbook I'll definitely be buying! Such great news Jane-Anne - I can't wait to see it. Bern

Anonymous said...

How did I miss this announcement?? WOW! How very exciting for you and for all of us waiting for the book. Congratulations JA. I wish you huge success for this exciting venture. Very keen to clap eyes on a copy!
Hugs xx

Kate Liquorish said...

Congrats Jane, such great news, you deserve all the success you can get from this, I can't wait to see it XXX

mitzireddyy said...

Congratulations,Juno - its wonderful when it all comes together after years of hard work - I have been enjoying some of your recipes already and as I love cook books I am looking forward to reading and buying a copy of yours.

Jeanne said...

Yikes - so this is what I miss when I am offline and on holiday! Congrats - can't wait to see the book :)

Eileen said...

Congratulations! I have so enjoyed your blog.. hopefully I will be able to order your new cook book on Amazon? I am in Louisiana. As we say in these parts "Geaux Jane!"

Jacky said...

'A Dream come true' really does describe this whole phenomenon - but it came as the fruit of all your gifts - from communication to humour to creativity , knowledge [thank you Chappies] ,a gift for cooking and tasting, for aesthetics , a generosity with ideas....and a whole lot of other factors which if I try to dig them out will make this sound like I want something maybe....your food ? your book ? well of course....but anyway the things that make up the energy stream that leads into the Dream come true. Awesome JA!

Jane-Anne said...

Hello Jacky

What a kind and thoughtful comment. Thank you so much. I wish your name was linked to a blog or email address so I can thank you in person. Well, in virtual person. You know what I mean. Jane-Anne

Unknown said...

Nice blog ! Blog also awesome some recipes . For more recipes tips view this best recipe books