Sunday 8 November 2009

Zaheera's Easy Sweetcorn, Coriander and Chilli Crustless Egg Tart

I am smitten by this most unusual crustless egg tart. Although cheekily spiked with fresh coriander, green peppers and a little green chilli, it is a surprisingly delicate dish, with a lovely trembling texture and a crunchy topping of poppy seeds.  This is, to me, a perfect family recipe: easy to make, economical and just so moreish that I suggest you double the quantities.

Zaheera's Easy Sweetcorn, Coriander and Chilli Crustless Egg Tart
I first tasted this, cold and cut into squares (and it is just as good cold as it is warm) at a school-mommy tea party, and I begged Zaheera, who made the dish, for the recipe.

She sent me her hand-written recipe a few days later, which I promptly lost. While packing my house this weekend (we're moving to Cape Town in three weeks' time), I found her recipe tucked into my diary, and fell on it with joy.

This is the first recipe I've ever come across that contains coarsely grated green (bell) peppers.  It's never occurred to me to grate a green pepper, but what a good idea.

You can omit the minced green chilli if you don't like hot food, but do consider leaving it in: this dish has the mildest bite, which is beautifully balanced out by the sweetness of creamed sweetcorn.

Thanks, Zaheera!

Zaheera's Easy Sweetcorn, Coriander and Chilli Crustless Egg Tart

1 x 410 g tin creamed sweetcorn
1 fresh green chilli, deseeded and finely minced or chopped
½ cup (125 ml) chopped fresh coriander [cilantro]
½ cup (125 ml) coarsely grated green pepper [bell pepper]
60 g (60 ml/4 Tbsp) cold butter, grated on the coarse side of a cheese grater
3 extra-large free-range eggs, lightly beaten
½ cup (125 ml) cake flour
2 tsp (10 ml) baking powder
¾ cup (180 ml) grated Cheddar
½ tsp (5 ml) salt, or more, to taste
freshly ground black pepper

Topping: 
1 Tbsp (15 ml) poppy seeds (or toasted sesame seeds)

Preheat the oven to 180 °C.

Butter a 20-cm round or square ceramic dish, or a non-stick metal quiche dish.

Put all the ingredients, except the poppy seeds, into large bowl, and mix well. Pour the mixture into the buttered pan and sprinkle the poppy seeds on top.  Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until slightly puffed and golden-brown on top.  Serve warm or - if you're making this as a snack - allow to cool and cut into small squares.

Serves 4 as a main course, or 8 as a snack.

Print Friendly and PDFPrint Friendly

9 comments:

Nina Timm said...

The cape Town foodies welcomes you with open arms, my friend!!!!!
I love the light texture of this and then the crunch of the poppy seeds, sounds almost perfect!!!!

arcadia said...

sounds like a good option for a sunday night dinner...

Homemade Heaven said...

What good news - you are moving to the Mother City - you will love it and you'll be very welcomed, just as Nina says.
I love this egg tart - one of things you can adapt to what you have in the fridge.

Koek! said...

I also like the idea of grating green peppers... And I love a good tart! Yum. Welcome to CT :-)

Jane-Anne said...

Thank you my friends. I am longing to get back to Cape Town, and look forward to meeting you all.

Jeanne said...

Oh, I love the idea of the poppy seed topping! Looks fab. And good luck with the move!! Hope to see you there in March 2010 :)

Katrine said...

This looks delicious, I reckon it will be a winner at my next braai!

Jane-Anne said...

Thanks for the feedback (and the warm welcomes from the Kaapse foodies!)

I hope you'll try Zaheera's recipe: what a winner it is.

linda davidson said...

Juno, this was divine, the kids ate it and hubby. it was soo good. i added a dollop of sweet chillie sauce on the side! yum. i'll also not be scared to add more chillie next time - i see what you mean. stunning - thanks!!!